Production of Benzophenone 4
Benzophenone-4 is prepared via sulfonation of benzophenone-3. The product is then purified by precipitation from aqueous hydrochloric acid, isolated by centrifugation, washed with acidic water, and dried.
Storage and Handling
• Precautions for safe handling For personal protection, Never use pressure to empty the containers. They are not pressure-resistant containers. In the application area, smoking, eating, and drinking must be prohibited
• Conditions for safe storage Store according to local legislation. Observe indications on the label. Keep far away from ignition points. Keep away from oxidising agents and from highly acidic or alkaline materials. Do not smoke. Prevent the entry of non-authorised persons. Once the containers are open, they must be carefully closed and placed vertically to prevent spills
Oxidising agents & highly alkaline or acidic materials
• Recommended extinguishing methods: Extinguisher powder or CO2. In case of more serious fires, also alcohol-resistant foam and water spray. Do not use a direct stream of water to extinguish
• Special risks: Fire can cause thick, black smoke. As a result of thermal decomposition, dangerous products can form: carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide. Exposure to combustion or decomposition products can be harmful to your health
• Advice for firefighters: Use water to cool tanks, cisterns, or containers close to the heat source or fire. Take wind direction into account. Prevent the products used to fight the fire from going into drains, sewers, or waterways
• Inhalation If wearing contact lenses, remove them. If breathing is irregular or stops, perform artificial respiration. Do not administer anything orally. If unconscious, place them in a suitable position and seek medical assistance.
• Eye contact If wearing contact lenses, remove them. Wash eyes with plenty of clean and cool water for at least 10 minutes while pulling eyelids up, and seek medical assistance.
• Skin contact Remove contaminated clothing. Wash skin vigorously with water and soap or a suitable skin cleaner. NEVER use solvents or thinners.
• Ingestion If accidentally ingested, seek immediate medical attention. Keep calm. NEVER induce vomiting
• Causes skin irritation.
• Causes serious eye irritation.
• May cause respiratory irritation
• Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
• IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of water.
• IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing.
• If skin irritation occurs: Get medical advice/attention.
• If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice/attention.
• Take off contaminated clothing and wash it before reuse
• IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.
Benzophenone is widely used in household products, such as sunglasses, food packaging, laundry and cleaning products to protect from UV light. It can contaminate drinking water and migrate from food packaging into food. Benzophenone is used in some food packaging inks and may migrate into foods. Benzophenone occurs naturally in some foods (such as wine grapes and muscat grapes) and is added to other foods as a flavoring. In personal care products, benzophenone is used as a fragrance enhancer or to prevent products such as soaps from losing scents and colors in the presence of UV light