Production of Methyl Isopropyl Ketone
A process for the preparation of methyl isopropyl ketone and/or diethyl ketone by reacting methyl ethyl ketone with methanol in the gas phase at elevated temperatures in the presence of a catalyst, wherein the reaction is carried out at from 350 to 500°C and the catalyst used is a metal oxide selected from the oxides of cerium, chromium, iron, magnesium and manganese, a mixture of methyl isopropyl ketone and diethyl ketone being obtained and, if required, being separated into the individual compounds,
ASTM Testing Standard
• D268 Guide for Sampling and Testing Volatile Solvents and Chemical Intermediates for Use in Paint and Related Coatings and Material
• D1078 Test Method for Distillation Range of Volatile Organic Liquids
• D1209 Test Method for Color of Clear Liquids (Platinum-Cobalt Scale)
• D1296 Test Method for Odor of Volatile Solvents and Diluents
• D1353 Test Method for Nonvolatile Matter in Volatile Solvents for Use in Paint, Varnish, Lacquer, and Related Products
• D1364 Test Method for Water in Volatile Solvents (Karl Fischer Reagent Titration Method)
• D1476 Test Method for Heptane Miscibility of Lacquer Solvents
• D1613 Test Method for Acidity in Volatile Solvents and Chemical Intermediates Used in Paint, Varnish, Lacquer, and Related Products
• D3329 Test Method for Purity of Methyl Isobutyl Ketone by Gas Chromatography
• D4052 Test Method for Density, Relative Density, and API Gravity of Liquids by Digital Density Meter
• D5386 Test Method for Color of Liquids Using Tristimulus Colorimetry
• E1 Specification for ASTM Liquid-in-Glass Thermometers
• E29 Practice for Using Significant Digits in Test Data to Determine Conformance with Specifications
• E300 Practice for Sampling Industrial Chemicals
Storage and Handling
• Precautions for safe handling : Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.
• Ground/bond container and receiving equipment. Use only non-sparking tools. Take precautionary measures against static discharge. Flammable vapors may accumulate in the container. Use explosion-proof equipment. Wear personal protective equipment. Use only outdoors or in a well ventilated area. Avoid breathing fume, gas, mist, spray, vapors
• Suitable extinguishing media : Alcohol-resistant foam, Carbon dioxide (CO2), Dry chemical, Water spray
• Unsuitable extinguishing media: Water spray jet
• Specific hazards during fire fighting : Water may be ineffective. The product will float on water and can be reignited on surface water.
• Hazardous combustion products : No hazardous combustion products are known
• If inhaled : Move to fresh air. Treat symptomatically. If symptoms persist, call a physician.
• In case of skin contact : Wash off with soap and water. If symptoms persist, call a physician.
• In case of eye contact : In the case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice.
• If swallowed : Seek medical advice
• Highly flammable liquid and vapor.
• Harmful if inhaled.
• May cause drowsiness or dizziness
• Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces.
• Keep container tightly closed.
• Ground/bond container and receiving equipment.
• Use explosion-proof electrical/ ventilating/ lighting/ equipment.
• Use only non-sparking tools.
• Take precautionary measures against static discharge.
• Avoid breathing dust/ fume/ gas/ mist/ vapors/ spray.
• Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
• Wear protective gloves/ eye protection/ face protection.
Methyl Isopropyl Ketone is used primarily in industrial applications as a chemical intermediate and as a process solvent.